Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A quick introduction

“A house without books is like a room without windows.”

Well said, Horace Mann. After packing up and moving out of my apartment following graduation, the heavy boxes of books that I had acquired over the last four years reminded me of how literally (and quite accidentally, and back-breakingly) I tend to live by this maxim.

Next year will only exaggerate my bad book-hoarding and -loving habits: I will be moving to Munich in the fall to begin a year of study in the discipline of book history. This blog will attempt to document my year of living with books, exploring not only a love for the printed word but also what it means to try to be a modern humanist–intellectually curious, socially conscious, reasonably aware of reality--in pursuit of printed history.

No comments:

Post a Comment